About Our School
Nau mai, haere mai ki Te Kura Tuatahi ō Hokitika - Welcome to Hokitika Primary School.
Hokitika Primary is 'A Cool Little School in a Cool Little Town’. You'll find us nestled in the seaside town of Hokitika, on the West Coast of Te Waipounamu.
We are a small co-educational primary school with a big heart. We cater to children in Years 0 - 6 (ages 5 to 11) in English medium and in Māori medium. In 2020 we have around 160 students learning across seven classrooms.
At HPS we are committed to several key programmes:
- Oracy - the deliberate teaching of oral language - is becoming increasingly important across all year levels.
- ‘Play is the Way’ - our behaviour education programme - empowers students to become empathetic citizens.
- The Enviroschools programme helps us to focus on sustainability and building a bright future.
- The Toki Pounamu programme supports staff to deliver quality, meaningful, best-practise digital learning experiences. Find out more about all of these programmes here.
Our vision is to nurture independent, empathetic, capable, life-long learners. Our school motto, ‘Whaia te iti kahurangi - Seek the finest treasure’, underpins this vision.
The Staff, Board of Trustees and I are proud to have created a fun, safe, welcoming environment for all tamariki (children) and their whānau (family, extended family, and caregivers). We look forward to welcoming new whānau to our school.
Nāku noa, nā
Uniform items with our HPS logo can be bought from The Warehouse in Greymouth. Please note it is not compulsory to have the items with the logo. Non-branded clothing is fine. We usually have some second-hand uniform items for sale at school.
- Summer Terms (1 and 4): Navy blue wide-brimmed hat.
- Red polo shirt - short-sleeved or long-sleeved (most students wear short) - with school logo or without.
- Red fleece jersey - with school logo or without. Usually with a short zip. No hoodies please.
- Navy blue shorts, skorts, culottes or track pants.
- Shoes and socks - any colour. Ideally shoes that children can wear to run, climb trees and play.