Te Rumaki Reo
Hokitika Primary School has a thriving Rumaki Reo with two kaiako, several part-time kaiarahi reo, and a full-time kaiāwhina. The class is mixed-level, catering to students from Year 0 to 6. We have a kaupapa of whanaungatanga - we're one family of learners. Our Rumaki Reo is open to all students. Most of our students begin at the start of their first year at school, but several have joined us further along their learning journey.
Our Rumaki Reo is classified as Māori Immersion Level 2. This means Te Reo Māori is, for most of the school day, the language of communication and instruction. English is accepted as a temporary language of instruction and communication. It’s not expected that all students in the class will interact freely in te reo māori - this skill will develop over time.
Our goals are to:
- enable our tamariki to be passionate learners who thrive on opportunities and experiences.
- acknowledge and learn about the rich world of Mana Whenua - Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Waewae and Te Rūnanga o Makaawhio.
- encourage our tamariki to reach beyond expectations to find their place in our world through te reo Māori.
- ensure the ideas, aspirations and strengths of our tamariki will be nurtured and shared.
- enable our tamariki to direct their own learning with the support of their kaiako.