About Our School
We are a small friendly co-educational primary school in the seaside town of Hokitika, on the West Coast of the South Island.
We have around 160 students learning in 7 classrooms.
We teach students from Year 0 to 6 (from age 5 to age 11), in English and in Te Reo Māori.
Our aim is to provide a safe and welcoming environment for all tamariki (children) and their whānau (families). HPS is a place where all our students are given the learning experiences they need to strengthen their sense of identity and belonging, and to become confident, life-long learners who participate fully in their communities.
Our students are empowered to become empathetic citizens, guided by ‘Play is the Way’ - our behaviour education programme. Our learning programmes are future-focused and evidence based.
Our staff are committed to ongoing professional development - most recently in Oracy, Mathematics, Reading and Digital Technology. We are a proud Enviroschool and this practice supports our learning and decision making across the school.
Uniform items with our HPS logo can be bought from The Warehouse in Greymouth. Please note it is not compulsory to have the items with the logo. Non-branded clothing is fine. We usually have some second-hand uniform items for sale at school.
- Summer Terms (1 and 4): Navy blue wide-brimmed hat.
- Red polo shirt - short-sleeved or long-sleeved (most students wear short) - with school logo or without.
- Red fleece jersey - with school logo or without. Usually with a short zip. No hoodies please.
- Navy blue shorts, skorts, culottes or track pants.
- Shoes and socks - any colour. Ideally shoes that children can wear to run, climb trees and play.